Monday, October 10, 2011

Blueberry Muffins


So, before I start talking about these muffins, I have a story first.
So, a few weeks ago, I tried to make these cupcakes.
Everything was going so good! I even have pictures!






See? Beautiful!
They were perfect, until I decided I should finish up my laundry, and in the meantime, forgot that I had dogs.



Two pesky, perpetually hungry dogs.
So they ate them all while I did my laundry.
And yes, I'm still bitter about it.
But now I had all of these blueberries that I was going to use for the frosting. 
So I brought out my good old Betty Crocker Cookbook


Now, I've never made muffins before, but I've made cupcakes, so I figured they're kind of the same. Also, this cookbook has never let me down so I decided I'd give it a try.
First, preheat your oven to precisely 400 degrees.


And line your muffin tin...


Then, mix all the wet ingredients together. 


Then add all the dry ingredients, and mix just until the flour is moistened.
This was the hard part for me-I'm used to a cake batter which is much more liquid than this, 
and when I read that the batter would be lumpy, I expected that when they were baked there would be flour clumps in it. If you're like me, don't worry. They turn out just fine.


And here comes the fun part!
[You don't need to use blueberries, you can opt for chocolate chips or something else-whatever your heart desires!]
First, wash your blueberries.


(oh goodness I love my wide angle attachment...)
Then, fold them in!


Next, distribute all the batter evenly between your muffin cups.




Fill them about 3/4 the way full, so that all the batter you made is evenly distributed.
You don't want too little in a cup, or you'll have a little muffin, and you don't want too much or you won't have enough muffins!
{But that's pretty self-explanatory} 
Then bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes.
And... BAM! Beautiful blueberry muffins!


Blueberry Muffins
(From Page 67 of Betty Crocker's Cookbook: The New Edition)
Yields 12 muffins.

Ingredients: 
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup fresh, canned, or frozen blueberries
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms only of a muffin pan or line with paper liners.

In a large bowl, beat milk, oil, and egg with wire whisk until well mixed. 

Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt all at once just until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy). 

Fold in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. 

Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.





No comments:

Post a Comment